Game making checklistSubmitted by Earok on Tue, 04/07/2009 - 22:08
I find it absolutely essential reading, I have already added a few items from the list to the Earok Engine. I'll definitely refer to this checklist for every game I release from now on.
1. Allow alt-tab and Switching to other programs (and the all-known DX issue)
2. Allow alt-f4 and manual program shutdown at every stage
3. Sound and Music Volume control
4. Software capability tests (DX, OGL, Accelerator caps)
5. Support both windowed and fullscreen modes
6. Mouse / Keyboard / Joystick / Keypad support
7. Allow player to choose input device and choose which keys to use
8. Prevent multiple game launch
9. Low FPS handling
10. Saving game settings and preferences
11. Call stack dump upon a crash
12. System config for tech support
13. Version number for tech support (and if you're really up to it, web update check)
14. Accessibility options - Cater for one switch play and other accessibility issues like colour blindness, deafness etc.
1. Having Music and Sound effect for every possible event (including GUI event)
2. Highscore table (or even better, an Online highscore system)
3. Tutorial level(s)
4. In game documentation, or an off-line one (for the sake of us, the laptop users)
5. Pause option
6. Difficulty levels
7. Save Games
8. Level selection (or at least select episodes / levels that had been unlocked)
9. co-op play or duel mode
10. Level/Scenario Editor
11. Offline play - don't force player to have internet connectivity
Polish & Demo:
1. Smooth screen transitions (fades ect.)
2. Loading Screens
3. Game elements and Controls slide before first game/level
4. Nag Screens (if applicable)
5. Show in-game which features are available in full version (if applicable)
6. Kiddie mode - you'll be amazed how many parants will pay for a game for a "keep the dwarf busy with infinite credits" mode.
7. Bonus level(s)
8. Screenshots - let your gamers show-off their achievements thus giving you more publicity (works well with any sim/RPG/RTS)
10. Multi lingual support
11. In game hints
12. ...or cheats/walkthrough for those points everyone gets stuck.
13. Strategy guide
14. Game progress indicator (such as maps with the road that had been played)
15. Skins & Personalization (allow user to choose/make his own symbol, choose NPC's names)
16. Credits to contributors
1. Have one, not zipped.
3. Game icon
4. Optional link on the desktop
5. Optional Program group with meaningful name
6. Uninstaller. One that doesn't leave any remains.
7. Option to run the game after installation complete.