DropBoxSubmitted by Earok on Mon, 02/22/2010 - 17:38
The best kind of backup is one you don't even have to think about. Dropbox is one of my favourite new applications because it facilitates that kind of backup.
Basically, it creates a folder on your computer which is automatically synchronised with a storage cloud. It's really that simple. However, it also offers:
- Dropboxes can be synchronised between multiple computers.
- Clients available for Windows, Mac, Linux and iPhone.
- Files in your Dropbox can be downloaded from a web browser.
- Version control, making it easy to roll back to earlier copies (The downside to this is I am now too lazy to set up Subversion repositories!).
- Easy file sharing, each file saved in a public subfolder of your dropbox has a public link that can be shared.
- Although there are multiple pricing options, the basic 2GB option is absolutely free.
- EDIT - Entire folders can be shared with fellow DropBox users. Thanks @arran4 for reminding me.
I'll admit I have an ulterior motive for writing this post. If you use this link to sign up for a DropBox account, then both you and me get an additional 250mb of storage.