The Kiwi's Tale, now playable in a browser!Submitted by Earok on Sat, 07/28/2012 - 20:04
The Kiwi's Tale has now been ported to Monkey, play it online right here. This is the first public release of the Monkey version, so I'm expecting there to be a few bugs lurking around. Please let me know if you spot any. I've only tested on Chrome so it's the only Browser I can guarantee it might run reliably on.
Boring technical details below for those who are interested:
- Despite being browser based, this version of the game has almost complete feature parity with it's desktop counterpart (Joypad support being the most major omission).
- Gui's Portguese translation is still present, unfortunately some of the character's aren't displaying. I'll need to spend some time looking into it.
- A Flash version exists, but runs far too slow to be playable. I think it's time for Flash to be buried.
- A fair chunk of the code was ported automatically with my BlitzMax-to-Monkey converter, though there was still a fair amount of painstaking effort fixing the code line by line until it became playable.
- The only major part of the code I didn't port with the converter was the Mappy level libraries. Since the Mappy file format is binary, I had to convert the levels to a text format, and ended up Clean Rooming the libraries rather than trying to port them.